ISP Mail Relaying

Questions relating to our broadband services.

Moderators: Design Team, Web World Tech Support

ISP Mail Relaying

Postby daveg » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:15 pm

Hello,

I get asked this quite often so I decided to do a post about it, there are a lot of companies out there who still use their ISP for their outgoing mail servers and this is wrong for many reasons; which I've listed below:

- Reverse DNS: (or to be exact FCrDNS or forward-confirmed reverse DNS) will not work properly unless your ISP hosts your domain, this means that a percentage of your messages are always getting blocked, lost or marked as spam.

- Blacklists: There is no SMTP authentication on an open relay server, so if your ISP has thousands of users with free email then its only a matter of time before one of them sends spam and gets the mail server listed on a RBL. I've personally seen this happen to Vodafone & Eircom in recent months.

- No Support: When your email stops working the first thing you do is call your hosting company, they often won't know that you are using your ISP for sending emails and it waste their time and yours trying to troubleshoot the problem. If you call your ISP you can be sure their staff won't have the training to troubleshoot complex mail problems because its not their main business.

- Old technology: When the internet started to get popular in the early 90's open relays were common among ISP's, but they became unpopular because of their exploitation by spammers and worms. That still remains the case today. My point is that SMTP authentication is important people!
Thanks
Dave Geoghegan
daveg@webworld.ie
daveg

Return to ā€œ%sā€ Broadband