Questions about domain names.

Moderators: Design Team, Web World Tech Support

Am considering phasing out my main domain and using another

Postby David Mythen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi

I have the current setup

Main domain: www.irishupandcomingmusicscene.tk
Domain Alias: www.mythen.ie

I am considering phasing out my main domain and making the .ie domain the main one. Will this effect my ftp setting and account details and if so is it easy to fix since im looking to ditch the .tk permanently. .tk reputation has been getting worse over the last two years so i would like to transition to .ie

transitioning my html front end of the site is not an issue in terms of links and so forth but i do have multiple WordPress installs and also a database tied into them so how can i successfully port everything over to the .ie may i ask and what help can your tech department give me on this matter?

Kind Regards

David
David Mythen

Re: Am considering phasing out my main domain and using anot

Postby David Mythen » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:39 pm

Ok

Ive setup mythen.ie as its own domain but whe i go to create a database I get the following:

Unable to execute method CreateDB against Service MySQL for Domain mythen.ie as Limit Maximum MYSQL5 Databases has been reached.

That error makes no sense. The issue appears to be across both domains - i cant seem to create a user or a database :(

I have phpmyadmin installed on the .tk and it sees my main database (that i created which has 4 WordPress sites and one php forum installed on it) and the default information_schema

I dont have phpmyadmin operational on the .ie so i can only presume that information_schema is on its own there

Ive also noted that the parallels helm control panel doesnt even report the presence of information_schema for either domain

FYI I also noted that the mySQL version will be outdated pretty soon (v5.0.67 myphpadmin reports) - will you be updating it anytime soon since I intend to keep my WordPress installs up to date or is phpmyadmin reporting the wrong version?

Here is the latest ive seen out there

MySQL 5.5: Latest General Availability (Production) release
MySQL 5.1: Previous stable (production-quality) release
MySQL 5.0: Older stable release nearing the end of the product lifecycle

Either way I can't create any new databases or users on either domain

:(

Any help is appreciated :D
David Mythen

Postby daveg » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi David,

I believe the first problem your having is a quota issue, please try that now ... you should have unlimited databases. :)

Since you are changing domains please make sure that you add the database to the correct domain account, otherwise your databases will be deleted once you delete the old domain!
FYI I also noted that the mySQL version will be outdated pretty soon (v5.0.67 myphpadmin reports) - will you be updating it anytime soon since I intend to keep my WordPress installs up to date or is phpmyadmin reporting the wrong version?
We have no immediate plans to update MySQL, there are over 1000 databases on this server and the problem is that lots of them are likely to break after doing any major upgrade. This type of job usually takes week of planning and our experience is that you loose customers on every major upgrade even if you give them weeks of notice. My advise is that you look at a VPS if you need a specific version of MySQL or PHP. Shared hosting environments are usually more complicated and less reliable. Unfortunately in this case you cant please everybody all the time.

BTW: We have a newer version of MySQL on Linux if that's any help.
Thanks
Dave Geoghegan
daveg@webworld.ie
daveg

Postby David Mythen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:35 pm

Sorry about all the questions by the way - Ive been having to learn about all this on the fly since its my first time doing such a transfer :)
Hi David,

I believe the first problem your having is a quota issue, please try that now ... you should have unlimited databases. :)
Thats worked a charm :) cheers - i noticed that the two domains share the same sql server - would i be right in thinking that creating an individual user on each domain in the sql section of the helm and then transferring the database across to the new domain under the new user for that daomin will prevent cross domain issues once the previous domain is deleted?
Since you are changing domains please make sure that you add the database to the correct domain account, otherwise your databases will be deleted once you delete the old domain!
Awesome - as stated above i think ive done it right but ive backups made just in case :)
We have no immediate plans to update MySQL, there are over 1000 databases on this server and the problem is that lots of them are likely to break after doing any major upgrade. This type of job usually takes week of planning and our experience is that you loose customers on every major upgrade even if you give them weeks of notice. My advise is that you look at a VPS if you need a specific version of MySQL or PHP. Shared hosting environments are usually more complicated and less reliable. Unfortunately in this case you cant please everybody all the time.
Makes sense :) cheers
BTW: We have a newer version of MySQL on Linux if that's any help.
What is linux like to port over and use in comparison to the windows server that im sharing?

Thanks a mill for all the help by the way :D
David Mythen

Postby David Mythen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:02 am

Hi after revising and backing up I hit a brick wall in terms of moving to the next stage of this endeavour - the issues are:

ISSUES:

DATABASE UPDATE via PHPMYADMIN ISSUES - STILL PRESENT

Am using the phpmyadmin install on the .TK to try to edit and run queries on the transferred database that now resides with the .IE domain via the SQL user I set up on the .IE and I hit a road block:

For me to edit the database successfully using SQL queries like -

UPDATE wp_posts SET post_content=(REPLACE (post_content, '{old url}','{new url}'))

- instead of inspecting and editing every single database entry and sub entry/field line by line i need root access or increased privileges to phpmyadmin but i cannot create a root account with full privileges via the helm because one already exists but i never created one nor were any root account details passed onto me nor can i increase the privileges for any user that i create

PHP INSTALL ISSUES ON NEW DOMAIN - PROBLEM SOLVED

Any help and advice would be appreciated?
Last edited by David Mythen on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Mythen

Postby David Mythen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:49 pm

Update - 19.50 - 7th Febuary 2013

Just a note:

- php has been activated on the .ie
- fresh php installs are working nicely

Issues still present

- inability of SQL queries to effect the relevant change on the target tables/database (this is needed to editing the imported database so i can start using the transferred WordPress sites): this could be due to insufficient privileges since query syntax matches sql version (i tried different variants of the one query to verify the correct syntax)

Ticket ID for this case:

Many thanks to you and your staff - ye have been extremely helpful via phone, email and this forum :)
David Mythen

Postby daveg » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:51 pm

inability of SQL queries to effect the relevant change on the target tables/database (this is needed to editing the imported database so i can start using the transferred WordPress sites): this could be due to insufficient privileges since query syntax matches sql version (i tried different variants of the one query to verify the correct syntax)
Hi David,

The permissions on your database are definitely correct, Helm sets these up automatically and its the same for thousands of other customers. This is not something we would change on a shared server. Regarding your programming issues its not really my area of expertise, but leave that with me and I'll see if I can find someone to help.
Thanks
Dave Geoghegan
daveg@webworld.ie
daveg

Postby carlosaluna » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:18 am

Hi, David

I was looking at http://www.mythen.ie, please explain to me what the issues are that you are experiencing. To do the migration I would recommend to open you mysql dump file from the old site with a text editor, and use the find and replace tool, and change the old url to the new url, like: find: http://www.irishupandcomingmusicscene.tk replace with: http://www.mythen.ie, that should do the job. Then, just import your db dump with phpmyadmin on your new site DB.

Regards,

Carlos Luna
carlosaluna

Return to ā€œ%sā€ Domain Names