Am considering phasing out my main domain and using another

Questions about domain names.

Moderators: Design Team, Web World Tech Support

Re: Am considering phasing out my main domain and using anot

Postby daveg » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi David,

I believe the first problem your having is a quota issue, please try that now ... you should have unlimited databases. :)

Since you are changing domains please make sure that you add the database to the correct domain account, otherwise your databases will be deleted once you delete the old domain!
FYI I also noted that the mySQL version will be outdated pretty soon (v5.0.67 myphpadmin reports) - will you be updating it anytime soon since I intend to keep my WordPress installs up to date or is phpmyadmin reporting the wrong version?
We have no immediate plans to update MySQL, there are over 1000 databases on this server and the problem is that lots of them are likely to break after doing any major upgrade. This type of job usually takes week of planning and our experience is that you loose customers on every major upgrade even if you give them weeks of notice. My advise is that you look at a VPS if you need a specific version of MySQL or PHP. Shared hosting environments are usually more complicated and less reliable. Unfortunately in this case you cant please everybody all the time.

BTW: We have a newer version of MySQL on Linux if that's any help.
Thanks
Dave Geoghegan
daveg@webworld.ie
daveg

Re: Am considering phasing out my main domain and using anot

Postby daveg » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:51 pm

inability of SQL queries to effect the relevant change on the target tables/database (this is needed to editing the imported database so i can start using the transferred WordPress sites): this could be due to insufficient privileges since query syntax matches sql version (i tried different variants of the one query to verify the correct syntax)
Hi David,

The permissions on your database are definitely correct, Helm sets these up automatically and its the same for thousands of other customers. This is not something we would change on a shared server. Regarding your programming issues its not really my area of expertise, but leave that with me and I'll see if I can find someone to help.
Thanks
Dave Geoghegan
daveg@webworld.ie
daveg

Return to ā€œ%sā€ Domain Names